Adding a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg to the classic cherry pie compliments your holiday dinners perfectly. These dark tart cherries are a great way to end the night on a sweet note, without a dessert that too rich. Serve warm with ice cream, or with a dollop of whipped cream!
Prep: 20 min. Bake time: 30 minutes + Cooling Makes: 1 deep dish 9 in. pie
- 4 cups frozen tart cherries
- 1 cup of sugar
- 4 tbs of flour
- 1/8 tbs. of almond extract *optional
- 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice or 1 tsp. mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
- Your favorite pie crust recipe. I used this one.
- 1-2 tbs. butter for topping
*whip cream for topping, or star to sprinkle on top.
- Prep pie crust – if you are making your own, you will wan to have it ready in advance
- Preheat your oven to 375
- Add 4 cups of cherries to medium saucepan, and cook on medium heat for 10-15 minute or until there is a lot of juice in the pot
- Remove cherries form heat
- Mix flour, sugar, salt and spices together
- Stir dry ingredient into cherries
- Return cherry mixture to heat and cook on medium until mixture thickens, stirring frequently
- Remove from heat, top with butter and pour mixture into pie crust
- Bake at 350 until pie crust is light golden brown, 15-20 minutes
Cool and enjoy!
Like this pie? You will love it with this apple cider: